Children’s author Susan Stevens Crummel read to families and offered tips to cultivate good readers during her interactive presentation at Kindergarten Family Literacy Night on Tuesday, Oct. 3.
Crummel offered this advice to parents:
- Read to children before they can even understand what’s being read -- they will associate reading with love and affection.
- Create fun reading spaces.
- Use lots of words and complete sentences when talking to your child.
- Talk about your day together.
- Read anything and everything -- books, newspapers, and even recipes.
Also, Crummel received participation from students in the audience as she read her works, including “Cook-A-Doodle-Doo” and “The Great Fuzz Frenzy”.