October 15, 2020
COVID 19 has presented many challenges across the world. The primary responsibility of Krum ISD is to provide students with an exceptional education while providing for their health and safety. Krum ISD provided learning opportunities for both remote and in-person learners as methods of instruction so that students can have access to curriculum and academic success. After reviewing grades and attendance from the past nine weeks, Krum ISD’s administrative staff have decided to revise the learning plan options for students. We believe that in-person instruction provides students with additional support and access to teachers, academic conversations with peers, and stability that leads to higher academic success.
Revised plans concerning remote learning:
Students who participate in pre-kindergarten, dual language programs, or are in extracurricular activities must return to campus for in-person learning on October 26, 2020.
Students who do not meet the above criteria and wish to remain in remote learning must meet the following criteria:
- Students must have a grade of 75 or above in all classes in grades 2-12.
- Students in Kindergarten and 1st grade must be reading on grade level.
- Students must have five (5) or fewer absences in the semester.
Exceptions to criteria for participation in remote learning are:
- A student is medically fragile or lives with someone who is considered medically fragile. Documentation from a medical doctor is required and must be submitted to the school principal.
- A positive COVID case requires the student to be quarantined in accordance with the guidelines established by TEA as follows: Any student who has tested positive for COVID, or who experience the symptoms of COVID, must stay home throughout the infection period, and cannot return to campus until all three criteria have been met:
- At least one day (24 hours) has passed since recovery (resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications);
- The individual has improvement in symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and
- At least ten days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
- A student who has had close contact with someone who is COVID positive must be quarantined for 14 days. The student shall return to in-person learning after the 14-day quarantine period.
Students who do not meet the qualifications to stay in remote learning must return to school face-to face on October 26, 2020. Students required to return to in-person learning due to academic performance must complete the remainder of the current nine-weeks grading period and the following nine-weeks grading period as an in-person learner.
*Changes to delivery methods may be made at the end of a nine-week grading period with a two-week advance written notice. The last day of grading periods are Dec. 17, 2020 and March 12, 2020.
Krum ISD teachers have created meaningful online and face-to-face instruction, have been flexible in adapting to demanding attendance procedures, and increased their communication efforts which has doubled their workload. In an effort to support teachers with these increased demands, the 2020-2021 calendar has been revised to add in additional time that will be used for planning and data analysis.
This calendar is attached to this email and viewable at any time on the Krum ISD website.
If you have any questions regarding instructional delivery for your child, please contact your campus principal:
- Krum Early Education Center: Lyndi Stupka via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hattie Dyer Elementary: Lindsey Boone via email at email@example.com
- Blanche Dodd Elementary: Patricia Bolz via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Krum Middle School: Robert Butler via email at email@example.com
- Krum High School: Michelle Pieniazek via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
*This message was emailed to all parents using the district's School Messenger Communications platform on October 15, 2020.