Week 3: Instant Ice
It's hot outside! What better way to feel "cool vibes" than with instant ice?!
- Bottled Purified Water
- Food coloring (optional)
- Plate or tray
- Pour water onto plate or tray. There should be enough water to cover the bottom completely, but not be too full.
- Carefully place flat in the freezer.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to a bottle of purified water.
- Place bottle in a refrigerator/freezer below 0 degrees Celcius/ 32 degrees Fahrenheit for 2-3 hours.
- Create instant ice by carefully removing the bottle from the freezer and pouring the contents over ice.
Why It Works:
Usually, water will turn to ice when it gets to 0 degrees Celcius/ 32 degrees Fahrenheit. However, purified water usually has little to no impurities for ice crystals to form around, leaving it liquid at freezing temperatures. External force or condensation nuclei will cause this supercooled water to instantly solidify.
This experiment and its explanation were obtained from RonyesTech